Wednesday, January 6, 2010

12/31/09 - Little Darlings, My Body Guard, and TEX

So what started this all off was a desire to watch the Tatum O'Neil/Kristy McNichol classic Little Darlings on New Years Eve. This is because I am a wildman and I really know how to party. I decided to up the ante and add My Body Guard and Tex to the mix because I'm a 34 year old straight guy who has Matt Dillon film festivals on New Years Eve. Party. Normally I would have opted to include Over The Edge, but I have seen it a few times recently and wanted to keep things fresh.

First up was Little Darlings. A timeless tale of teenage girls trying to get laid at summer camp. This movie features a stolen school bus, a stolen condom machine, and Matt Dillon wearing awesome mesh 1/2 shirts. I had seen it on television about 900 times as a kid and it holds up remarkably well. Great coming of age trash. Look for Cynthia Nixon from Sex & The City as "Sunshine" the hippy girl.

Next was My Bodyguard - This is one of those movies that I remember being on HBO a lot in the middle of the afternoon, but I dont think I ever actually saw. Our hero is played by Chris Makepeace who is a funny looking kid that lives in a fancy hotel that his dad, fucking Martin Mull, manages. His grandmother, Ruth Gordon in all her Harold & Maude glory, is a saucey older lady who boozes it up and attempts to pick up married men in the lounge. Anyhow, Chris Makepeace transfers to a public school where Matt Dillon fucks with him. He gets sick of being fucked with and hires the school bully, Adam Baldwin, to protect him from Matt Dillon. Shenanigans ensue and it turns out that Adam Baldwin is the child killer with a heart of gold. At the end Matt Dillon gets his ass kicked and everyone lives happily ever after. This is actually a pretty decent movie and I really enjoyed it. A little sappy, but a decent underdog story.

Our third presentation was Tex which is an adaptation of an SE Hinton novel. Matt Dillon is a rebellious teenager that lives with his older (teenage) brother in Oklahoma and has touching coming of age moments. I fell asleep about 1/2 through it, but I enjoyed it well enough. Warm fuzzy 80's family drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment